KAUNAS PHOTO STAR 2013
Portfolio Reviews in Kaunas
September 12-13, 2013
REGISTRATION OPEN until September 8, 2013
KAUNAS PHOTO festival has been a festival of premières for future stars of photography since its launch in 2004. The festival is organized every year in Kaunas, the second largest city of Lithuania. The longest-running photographic festival in the Baltic states is a platform for dialogue around contemporary photographic creation between North and South, East and West. In the time of infinity of pictures taken every minute, KAUNAS PHOTO festival is constantly looking for great photographers, those, whom we could call new stars of photography.
In 2013 KAUNAS PHOTO festival is celebrating its 10th edition. After the main exhibition program that was running from April to June, Mindaugas Kavaliauskas, founder and director of KAUNAS PHOTO festival, and Gintaras Česonis, director of KAUNAS PHOTOGRAPHY GALLERY, announce the fourth KAUNAS PHOTO STAR 2013, a portfolio review event and competition that will traditionally take place in September.
KAUNAS PHOTO STAR is calling photographers regardless of their age, nationality, country of residence, themes, styles of photography to enter their works and participate.
KAUNAS PHOTO STAR 2013 comes with a set of advantages.
- Affordable registration fee and
- high value for money for services in Kaunas (hotels, dining, etc.);
- face-to-face meeting with internationally renown experts in the friendly and relaxing atmosphere of Business Leaders Centre (BLC), one of the most modern business centres in Lithuania;
- A portfolio walk on the afternoon of September 13, enabling photographers to meet all reviewers;
- “KAUNAS PHOTO STAR Photographers’ Night” on September 13, 2013 with every finalist presenting his / her work to the audience and web-cast viewers, culminated by the announcement of the TOP 4 and the Winner;
- The Winner receiving an invitation for a solo exhibition at KAUNAS PHOTOGRAPHY GALLERY in 2014 with expenses paid by KAUNAS PHOTO festival. KAUNAS PHOTOGRAPHY GALLERY, situated in the heart of medieval Kaunas Old Town, is a modern well-equipped gallery of 200 m2, renovated in 2010. The gallery is one of the largest and most important places for photography and contemporary art in Lithuania and Baltic States;
- One of TOP 4 photographers offered a solo exhibition at the Latvian Museum of Photography in Riga in 2014;
- Every participant benefiting from the friendly festival – possibilities of exchange, meetings with experts, colleagues and members of the international image community, exhibitions and projections of KAUNAS PHOTO festival.
A few outcomes of KAUNAS PHOTO STAR 2012 for photographers…
- Andrei LIANKEVICH (Belarus), KAUNAS PHOTO STAR 2012 Winner, will open his exhibition “Goodbye, Motherland” at KAUNAS PHOTOGRAPHY GALLERY on September 12, 2013. More >>
- Catrine VAL (Germany) was invited for a residency organized by KAUNAS PHOTOGRAPHY GALLERY in the end of 2012 and opened her exhibition at KAUNAS PHOTO in April 2013. More >>. Video >>
- Mariano ICAZA (Spain) opened his exhibition at the Latvian Museum of Photography in Riga on April 30, 2013. More >>
- Esteban PASTORINO DIAZ (Agrentina-Spain) is preparing his exhibition for the freshly-to-reopen Museum of Photography in Šiauliai, just after its reconstruction
KAUNAS PHOTO STAR 2013 Calendar
From August 1 to September 8
(August 30), 2013 – call for entries, registration of participating photographers.
September 12, 5 PM – Opening of exhibition of KAUNAS PHOTO STAR 2012 WINNER, Andrei LIANKEVICH (Belarus) at KAUNAS PHOTOGRAPHY GALLERY.
September 12 and 13 – Portfolio reviews in Kaunas at BLC. Afternoon of September 13 – Portfolio Walk.
September 13, 9 PM – KAUNAS PHOTO STAR Photographers’ Night, preview of participating photographers’ works and announcement of the TOP 4 and KAUNAS PHOTO STAR 2013 WINNER.
2014 – Exhibition of KAUNAS PHOTO STAR 2013 WINNER at KAUNAS PHOTOGRAPHY GALLERY and other outcomes of the KPS 2013…
KAUNAS PHOTO STAR 2013 Reviewers
Mindaugas Kavaliauskas – KAUNAS PHOTO festival – Director / Kaunas, Lithuania
Gintaras Česonis – KAUNAS PHOTOGRAPHY GALLERY – Director / Kaunas, Lithuania
Ieva Meilute Svinkūnienė – KAUNAS PHOTOGRAPHY GALLERY – Curator / Kaunas, Lithuania
Andre Moser – Nuit de la Photo – Organizer / La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland
Patrick Henry – LOOK festival – Director / Liverpool, UK
Anna Gaidai – Vizii festival – Co-Director / Kiev, Ukraine
Paul di Felice – Month of Photography in Luxemburg – Director / Luxemburg
Maira Dudareva – Latvian Museum of Photography – Director / Riga, Latvia
Ulrich Haas Pursiainen – Backlight Triennial – Co-Founder/ Tampere, Finland
Juliette Deschodt – LeJournaldelaPhotographie.com and other publications – Journalist / Paris, France
Vilija Ulinskyte – Museum of Photography in Šiauliai – Museum leader / Šiauliai, Lithuania
More names of reviewers will be announced. The list of reviewers will reach a minimum of 15 experts.
Any professional photographer / artists using photography from Baltic States, Europe and other continents can be KAUNAS PHOTO STAR, yet he / she must be committed to travel to Lithuania for portfolio reviews. The competition is open to all themes, styles, approaches, yet we expect series of photographs, rather than single images. For registration entries, 12-15 images from up to two different bodies of work, representing to-be-shown portfolios, should be sent along with the entry form. We are looking for new and fresh, preferably unshown and unpublished photography. The KAUNAS PHOTOGRAPHY GALLERY, venue of the exhibition of the Winner, is vast, and it will need to be filled with a consistent body of high quality works. During the reviews in Kaunas, photographers can show extended portfolios, although it is suggested to have not more than 50 images. Suggestions / reminders what to have and how to present the works will be sent to participating photographers after their registration is complete.
Entries by e-mail only to: firstname.lastname@example.org
E-mail subject: KAUNAS PHOTO STAR_Name_SURNAME (1/3, 2/3, 3/3 – if sent in multiple emails)
E-mail should include: a) Entry form (on page 3 of downloadable document, filled out, sent as ~.doc), b) 12-15 jpg images, c) CV 150 words max (~.doc), d) artistic statement 100 words max (~.doc)
Attachments: loose files or ZIPs. Max weight of the entire entry: 5 MB.
File specifications: 1200 px on the longer side. RGB, JPG only, JPG quality – 80-90%.
File naming: Name_SURNAME_Title-of-the-series_Place_year_01.jpg
What not to send: TIF, Power Point, PDF or other than JPG types files. For sequencing of images, use file numbers.
Why do we need jpgs? They will be used to mix the presentation video of each participant, that will be screened in his / her presence on September 13 during the KPS Photographers’ Night.
No entries sent by mail will be considered or returned.
Extended deadline for submission – September 8, 2013, 23:59 GMT +2.
The accepting of submissions may be closed before the announced deadline, if we have 40 registered participants.
Registration fee is 59 EUR (net, non-refundable), payable at the time of sending the entry form and of works.
bank transfer to “VsI Sviesos rastas”; enterprise code – 236029130; Bank name – Swedbank, AB; bank address – Konstitucijos pr. 20A, 03502 Vilnius, Lithuania; bank code – 73000; SWIFT – HABALT22, IBAN (account number) – LT397300010079629079. Payment purpose: “Name SURNAME – KPStar” or
PayPal transfer to email@example.com – “Name SURNAME – KPStar”.
Portfolio reviews in Kaunas on September 12 and 13, 2013
Portfolio reviews for photographers is the best way to be noticed by the professionals of the photo art business, get their feedbacks and eventually proposals of promotion, publications, exhibitions, acquisitions.
KAUNAS PHOTO festival will offer a possibility to 40 photographers to meet distinctive representatives of galleries, museums, magazines of photography from Lithuania, Baltic countries and other European countries in one place.
Photographers must do their travel arrangements at their own cost. KAUNAS PHOTO festival web site or newsletters sent to finalists will provide travel tips to Lithuania and links to best hotel offers. Compared to many European cities, Kaunas offers a great value for price in accommodation and dining options. The list of reviewers can be found on www.KaunasPhoto.com
The Winner and Special Mentions
The works of the all participants will be celebrated and projected in the KAUNAS PHOTO STAR 2013 Photographers’ Night on September 13, 2013. During this event, the TOP 4 and the Winner will be announced. Besides choosing the Winner, the KAUNAS PHOTO STAR portfolio reviewers will be able to propose special mentions and awards. The KAUNAS PHOTO STAR Winner’s exhibition will be shown at KAUNAS PHOTOGRAPHY GALLERY during KAUNAS PHOTO 2014. The festival will undertake the winner’s travel / flight costs, hotel accommodation, transportation or production of works. However, if the elected KAUNAS PHOTO STAR will not reside within Europe, the festival might undertake only a part of travel expenses.
Portfolio Entry & Registration fee payment extended deadline: September 8, 2013, until 23.59 PM, GMT+2.
>> Download the KAUNAS PHOTO STAR 2013 entry form as PDF as DOC <<
KAUNAS PHOTO STAR 2013 TOP 4:
Wim De Schamphelaere (Belgium)
Andrejs Strokins (Latvia)
Invitations for solo exhibitions at the Latvian Museum of Photography by Maira Dudareva, museum director to:
Wim De Schamphelaere (in 2014), Vytautas Pletkus (in 2015)
Invitation for solo exhibition at KAUNAS PHOTOGRAPHY GALLERY by Gintaras Česonis, director to…
…otherwise said, “And the Winner is”:
Andrejs Strokins (Latvia)
Kaunas Photo festival will cover the costs of the transportation or production of the work.